Round Hill and Round Hill Airport :
Object ID:
The Ship Charles W Morgan and Goodyear Blimp Mayflower
VE Exhibit Label 1:

The Whaling Ship Charles W. Morgan

Colonel Ned Green acquired and refitted one of New Bedford's last whaling ships, the Charles W. Morgan, which docked on his shore for many years. The Charles W. Morgan was constructed in 1841.

Charles W. Morgan was nearly destroyed in 1924 when the steamer Sankaty caught fire and broke free of her mooring lines at a New Bedford wharf. This event spurred some New Bedford citizens to restore and preserve the Morgan, but the attempts were unsuccessful. Harry Neyland then persuaded Colonel Edward Howland Robinson Green to save the ship. Neyland appealed to Green that the Morgan was of historical importance and was a family heirloom because she was once co-owned by Green's grandfather and his wife's company.

Green had the ship towed to his estate at Round Hill and founded Whaling Enshrined, consisting of himself, Neyland, and John Bullard, the great-grandson of Charles Waln Morgan. Colonel Ned held a dedication ceremony on the 86th anniversary of the ship's launch and gave her to Whaling Enshrined on July 21, 1926.

The Charles W. Morgan is now at the Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic, Connecticut.
Click to Enlarge